Skip to content

Maryland Criminal Defense Topics

I deal with all sorts of criminal, traffic, peace order and protective order cases in Maryland. The articles below are about issues that do not confine themselves to a particular type of charge, or case. They try to answer more general questions, like “what should I do when I get stopped by the police?”, or “what happens after I get arrested?” People also have questions about some common Maryland legal terms, such as “what is probation before judgment?” I also try to address some concerns about immigration consequences that come up in a variety of cases.

Of course, the best way to answer any legal question is to actually talk to a good lawyer. If you think you may have a legal issue, call me at (301) 556‑8709, because I can help you understand what is happening and decide the best course of action.

You may have a son or daughter who is in trouble with the police or needs advice from a lawyer, but may not appreciate the danger of being charged with a crime. Someone may have filed a peace order or protective order against your child, but they may not be sure what to do. Whether it's because they are paralyzed by fear, feeling invincible, distracted by other problems, or just reluctant to plan for the future, many young people wait too long to seek legal help. Your child may think that just because . . . .

Maryland probation before judgment, often abbreviated PBJ, is a disposition that is usually much better than a finding of guilt, but worse than a stet, nol pros, dismissal, acquittal, or not guilty verdict. It is not a finding of guilt, nor is it one of not guilty. It is a way that a judge can sentence you if you have been found guilty, while saving you from some of the consequences of that finding. Despite the misleading name, receiving a disposition of probation before judgment does not necessarily . . . .

It isn't over just because an officer arrested you in Maryland. You have not been convicted of a crime, and may still escape without any permanent consequence other than the severe inconvenience of the arrest and a brief stay in jail. Don't give up! I can help. If you let your guard down even for a moment, you may give the authorities evidence that they need to convict you, or spend unnecessary time in jail awaiting trial. You have two basic goals. The first is to calmly ask for a lawyer and remain . . . .

A large part of a police officer's job is to develop evidence that will lead to a conviction. At every stage of your encounter with the officer, you must assume that they are seeking evidence from you or your surroundings that could land you in jail. If you believe that you may be stopped by the police in the near future, or if you believe that you may be a suspect, you should enlist my aid as soon as possible by calling (301) 556-8709. I can give you specific advice relevant to your particular . . . .

Even minor criminal and traffic charges can have immigration consequences much more severe than the penalty imposed for the crime itself. A minor conviction or plea that is punished by a fine only could result in you being deported, or denied entry to this country in the future. You can even be deported for a crime based on changes in the law that happen after the crime is committed. You are in particular danger if you have an outstanding warrant, if you may be incarcerated, or if you are charged with a . . . .

There are generally two classes of problem that you need to be worried about as a non-citizen facing criminal charges. The first is which outcomes will make you deportable, and the second is which outcomes will make you inadmissible. Some criminal acts will make you deportable if you are already in proceedings, but would not otherwise result in your deportation. Admissibility and deportability are separate issues, with separate, but very similar, sources of law governing them. If you are deportable, you . . . .